Things In My House Thursday # 13
>> Thursday, October 23, 2008

TIMHT 13
THIRTEEN BIBLES
I believe I've mentioned that I like books, and Bibles rate a category all their own.
This collection includes old Bibles, gift Bibles, study Bibles, water-resistant Bibles, King James, NASB, NIV, NKJV, The Message, etc. and etc.
This was my Bible from when I was twelve years old, and it was a hand-me-down then from Aunt Patsy:
There is a list, in the back, in particularly wonderful handwriting, of my favorite Christmas songs. In the early seventies, I declared "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" to be my # 1.
Moving on a couple of decades, this satiny, lacy, pearly, ribbon-y Bible cover and Bible was a Mother's Day gift from Jessica. Back when she was still an only child. Please check out the inscription.
(In case you can't make out the fine print, it says: To MOMMY, From BOO - BOO).
Okay, fast forward. This is my main, go-to Bible. I've had this one about six years. It's the King James Study Bible , and has the best best best notes and outlines and concordance and extra information for me. And I make no apologies for my "cheater tabs", because I don't care how familiar I am with the Bible, I still pause if looking for Ezra or Joel, or just 'separating' Philemon from Hebrews.....I'll get there, sure, but these make it easier.
I also really like study Bibles with even more pictures, illustrations, maps, and history:
But here's where I started to take my Bible reading seriously:
And failed.
I didn't make it past February.
Then I read Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney.
This book should be required reading for Christians . . .it begins with Bible intake, but covers disciplines from prayer to fasting to evangelism and more.
Three practical suggestions for Bible reading success are 1) discipline yourself to find the time, 2) find a Bible reading plan, and 3) find at least one word, phrase, or verse to meditate on each time you read.
Success!
This beautiful duct-taped Bible is the NKJV Daily Bible with devotional insights from Charles Stanley. I'd picked it up at Wal-mart for $5. This is the first Bible I read through, cover-to-cover, and I was finished in August. Each day had a selection from the Old and New Testament, as well as Psalms and Proverbs.
Currently, I'm reading the One Year Chronological Bible. I'm liking it. I also like (thought I'd lost it once and almost couldn't keep reading...) my book marker: leather string with beads and a cross chiseled out of a coconut. The best part: it was a no-occasion gift from a cousin-in-law, from the Dominican Republic, and she made it herself.
Reading all of the Bible is challenging; it is so easy to get bogged down in the Old Testament. The first time I read the instructions for the tabernacle in Exodus, the detail fascinated me. The next time I read them, all I could think about was math. (Math and I aren't friends).
The first time I read Job, I was completely confused: I couldn't keep straight who was talking to whom and whether they were friend or foe..... The next time, I actually saw the poetry and wisdom of the book.
However, as you know - - the greater the challenge, the greater the reward!
I know how blessed I am to have the freedom and the means to own these Bibles, as well as the simple ability to read them. I'm trying to hang on to the good sense not to squander any of that!
" in the book The Wonder of the Word of God, evangelist Robert Sumner tells of a man in Kansas City who was severely injured in an explosion. His face was badly disfigured, and he lost his eyesight as well as both hands. He had just become a Christian when the accident happened, and one of his greatest disappointments was that he could no longer read the Bible. Then he heard about a lady in England who read braille with her lips. Hoping to do the same, he sent for some books of the Bible in braille. But he discovered that the nerve endings in his lips had been too badly damaged to distinguish the characters. One day, as he brought one of the braille pages to his lips, his tongue happened to touch a few of the raised characters and he could feel them. Like a flash he thought, "I can read the Bible using my tongue." At the time Robert Sumner wrote his book, the man had read through the entire Bible four times."
Please join Things in my House Thursday - and your post doesn't have to be nearly so 'wordy' as mine! : )
Whatever you want to share, we want to see and read about!
Remember to LINK here and to visit other participants.


14 comments:
THANKS for fixing my comment box, AMY!
All I did was change a setting, but you are very welcome. :o)
I loved this post...My favorite is the one from your Aunt Patsy. I think it's so cute that you wrote your favorite Christmas carols in the back.
I couldn't post either so glad someone told you! lol I think i've got about the same amount of bibles in the house too!
Wow, and I thought we had a lot of bibles in OUR house! You must be chock full of the Word of God, Jen! :-D
By the way, there was a problem with Blogger today. I got e-mails from those who were unable to leave a comment on my blog earlier today; plus I was not able to leave a comment on anyone else's blog who uses blogspot. I kept doing test posts on my own blog. Once one finally went through, I knew the problem must be fixed, and sure enough, I was then able to post on other blogspot blogs. :-)
Renna - I'm actually glad blogger was messing up for everyone and didn't just single me out : )
AND, I'm not nearly as versed in the verses as I should be - given all the Bibles I own,and the number of years I've been on this earth, but I am doing better, and I like having the different translations and additional info.
Books in general - I probably have too many!! (that I don't get around to reading)!
I love the bible collection. I have several versions too from the one that I received at my baptism to a bible that sits by my computer (tabs and all-for the same reason) I must say though, I do not have a packing tape bible (yet), nor do I anticipate a need...but I love that you do!
MSM!! I love this post. What a beautiful collection of bibles you have. And I am cracking up on reading in the shower!! I completely understand the peacefulness a shower can bring. I love to shower at night by candlelight. Much more relaxing than bathing by candlelight. I didn't know there was a chronological bible. I'm going to get my hands on that one.
How absolutely sweet and beautiful! When I was a little girl, my Grandparents gave me my very first "real" Bible for my birthday. I pointed out proudly to everyone to look at how it said "The Children's Bible." Of course, I couldn't quite read yet and it didn't quite say that, but I was so sure it was titled especially for me. :o)
I wish we were neighbors, so we could share some of your books, perhaps a little Bible Study together...
Hmmm...is there a way to do that online?
Your bibles look great!
I still have my very first bible that I got to pick out when I was a little girl. It meant so much to me b/c I was the one picking it out, it's blue and my Mom had my name engraved into it.....
My husband and I have the couples bible and I love reading it too!
Now I can post! I realize that I could have that same day, but I was curled up in a blanket and whining about being sick.
What a neat thread! You do have many Bibles and ones with memories. How great!
It seems to me it would be easier commutating by shouting across the fence like our dogs … but I will give this commenting thing a try first.
My favorite Bible is one I received from my mom that was my grandfathers. It is all marked up and I feel somewhat like I am reading his diary. As for how many we have I count around 40. Yes my husband teaches Sunday school and studies theology. We have a one Bible written in German, just in case one of my relative from there comes to visit. We have the Septuagint and a Greek translation of the Bible. The most used ones are the study Bibles.
It is actually hard to be heard over the dogs, Sharon. : )
Get your blog going, and you'll understand the importance attached to comments!
Glad you joined TIMHT!!
In answer to your question about what I write for NaNoWriMo, I write contemporary Christian romances.
~Susan
Post a Comment